CALL FOR ENTRIES
THE OBJECTIVE OF THE IIA NATIONAL AWARDS FOR EXCELLENCE IN ARCHITECTURE 2020.
(Also referred to as the ‘Award’ or ‘Awards’ herein) is to encourage, acknowledge, appreciate and honour the creative contribution of the IIA members in the field of Architecture. The Awards are presented annually and carry a Plaque and Citation in each category.
Entries will be adjudged in the following categories:
1] RESIDENTIAL PROJECTS – A
Single Family Dwellings, Bungalows, Villas, Mansions, Farm houses etc.
2] RESIDENTIAL PROJECTS – B
Multi-Family Dwellings, Group Housing, Multi-Storied Apartments, Gated Communities etc.
3] COMMERCIAL PROJECTS
Corporate/Office Buildings, Business and Commercial Centres, Shopping Centres, Malls etc.
4] PUBLIC / INSTITUTIONAL PROJECTS
Educational/Institutional Buildings, Healthcare Projects, Public Buildings, Sports Complexes, Religious Buildings, Art & Cultural Centres etc.
5] INDUSTRIAL / INFRASTRUCTURE PROJECTS
Factory Buildings/Structures, Workshops, Transport Terminals, Toll Plazas etc.
6] INTERIOR DESIGN PROJECTS – RESIDENTIAL
7] INTERIOR DESIGN PROJECTS – NON RESIDENTIAL
8] HOSPITALITY & RECREATION PROJECTS
Hotels & Resorts, Amusement Parks & Multiplexes
9] CONSERVATION PROJECTS
Adaptive Reuse, Retrofitting / Restoration of Old and Heritage sites/structures
10] ARCHITECTURE UNBUILT PROJECTS
Designed but not built as on date – (1 to 8 categories)
11] UNBUILT FUTURE PROJECTS
A response to the pandemic.
12] LANDSCAPE PROJECTS – A
Landscape Projects – Small Scale (Site area up to 1 acre)
13] LANDSCAPE PROJECTS – B
Landscape Projects – Large Scale (Site area above 1 acre)
14] SOCIALLY RESPONSIBLE ARCHITECTURE
Sustainable, Low Cost Regeneration of Existing Social Housing and Community, Disaster Risk Reduction, and Post-Disaster Emergency Responsive Architecture
15] RESEARCH PAPERS
Original concise Architectural Research papers
The IIA National Awards for Excellence in Architecture-2020 shall cover projects completed between, 1st January 2017 and 31st December 2020.
IIA members having paid subscription upto 2021-2022 or Lifetime subscribers are eligible to participate in the Awards. IIA National Office Bearers, IIA Awards Committee members and the host Chapter Committee members are NOT eligible for participation.
The submission process is entirely ONLINE, through the dedicated website – https://awards.indianinstituteofarchitects.com/
The participants are requested to upload the following Documents:
- A maximum of 6 sheets of A3 size in pdf format are to be uploaded (maximum size of entire Set to be uploaded should not be more than 30MB), explaining the design with relevant drawings, sketches and photographs. Presentation can be in Colour or B&W. Please ensure that all drawings are legible and are not superimposed over images. Entries with more than 6 sheets or larger than A3 size, will be disqualified.
- A Report Document in single A4 size page in Microsoft Word Format(.doc or .docx) is to be uploaded with relevant project details explaining the concept, context, constraints, innovations, interesting construction technologies etc. (Text Colour: Black, Font: Arial, Font Size: 12)
- Please note that in the submitted (entries) drawings, reports and documents, Participants should NOT mention/print/stick their name or firm name, firm logo, IIA membership number or any other identifying mark. Having such identifications shall lead to cancellation of entry.
- Entry form to be filled online. Please keep your resume, passport size photograph, valid COA certificate and IIA certificate ready to upload.
- A self-attested DECLARATION from the participant stating and confirming that the project is an original work of him or his firm and not of others, completed within the given period and further that no actions are pending against the said projects in any statutory authority concerned about any irregularity about the project.
- In case of any entry submitted by Partnership firm of Architects, at least one of the firm’s partners must be valid member of IIA.
- Further, in case such entry wins an award, the Award and Certificate shall be given in the name of the first mentioned name of valid IIA member of the firm.
- A member can send one or more projects / entries in any relevant categories. Separate set of Entry Form & mandatory enclosures shall be filled and submitted online for each entry/project.
- In case of rehabilitation, conservation or restoration projects, entries must include detail documentation/images showing the prior existing structure.
- In case of Research category entries, either published or non published, Original Architectural Research Studies shall be submitted in hard as well as soft copies.
- In case of Landscape Projects, the Plans/Photographs prior to the commencement of the Project are to be included.
- The entry material sent to IIA for the AWARDS will be retained as property of IIA. The Indian Institute of Architects shall be free to publish the entries in the Institute’s publication or display the same in the Exhibitions organized by the Institute. No claims for compensation or otherwise shall be entertained by the IIA on any account.
- Clarifications, if any, may be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Architects Above the age of 30
Rs. 5000 per entry + GST per entry
Architects up to the age of 30
(born on or after 01 January 1991)
Rs. 3000 per entry + GST per entry
Rs. 2000 per entry + GST per entry
The online portal for submission will be open from
15 June 2021 | 10.00 am
The last date for uploading all the documents into the website is
9 August 2021 | 11.59 pm
EVALUATION AND JURY
- A distinguished Panel of Jury will assess all the entries.
- The Jury will comprise of the President of IIA or his nominee and a Panel of Eminent Senior Architects. (Names of the Jury Panel will be announced shortly)
- The Jury will be a two stage process. From all the entries received, the Jury will do an initial shortlist of projects.
- The shortlisted projects will be presented online by the respective architects during the second stage Jury.
- The final Jury evaluation will also be based on these presentations.
- There will be separate Jury for the Research category, which shall be judged at the first stage of Jury.
- Decisions, deliberations, opinions and proceedings of the Jury shall not be made public or otherwise revealed.
- Awards committee decisions, Awards modality and process, decisions of the Jury shall be final and binding on all participants without appeal and cannot be challenged.
- Presentation of an Award to any entry in no way legalizes its status.
- If the project (i.e. an Award winning project) is involved in any revenue dispute or in violation of any statutory laws/regulations at subsequent time, the said award has no legal standing or validity in such dispute / violation.
- The management of these Awards is entirely based on the bonafide personal declaration duly signed & stamped by Architect / Firm along with the entry form.
- If prior to the actual presentation of the Award, any such violation comes to the notice of the Organizers (i.e. IIA National Council) along with documentary evidence or incorrect in any case, the organizers reserve the rights to withdraw / cancel the Entry, in consultation with the Jury.
- Categories with insufficient entries are liable to be cancelled.
- For the category of Un-built Projects, projects will have to be actual proposed projects with a real site, following the relevant rules and regulation. Documental proof has to be submitted in this regard. No hypothetical projects will be entertained.
- Posthumous Award: In case of death of an individual (whose project is selected for the Award) prior to actual presentation of Award, the Organizers may present the Award posthumously.
Proposed Regulations for Research Category, IIA National Awards 2020
1. Entrants must be a member of IIA. Papers written by more than one author are permitted, but the main author must be a member of IIA.
2. More than one paper may be submitted by the author.
3. The papers/ research work has to be related to the built environment, written in English and of 2000 – 5000 words. The research may be based on their ongoing or completed research.
4. The papers/ work sent for the research category does not need to be original. It may have been published elsewhere. However, the work must be the author’s own work.
5. The paper should be sent as a pdf. PPTs and word docs will not be accepted. The following should be blackened out :
i) Name of author/s
ii) Name of journal/publication
iii) Date of publication
iv) Name of author/s institution
v) Any other marks of identification
If any of these are seen to occur on the pdf, the entry shall be disqualified.
6. The paper must largely follow the structure: (1) Introduction (2) Review of literature (3) Methodology (4) Results/Findings (5) Discussion (6) Conclusions & Recommendations
7. The references must be clear, cited within the text and for the images and tables as well. The list of references must mention the essentials of Author, Date of publication, Publisher, etc.
8. A plagiarism check will be done by IIA. The permissible limit is 10 % similarity.
9. Stage 1 shortlisting will be done (by the JIIA Board of Reviewers or a suitable panel of jurors for research category) according to the requirements of paper submission for Category 3 of JIIA on a double-blind peer review basis.
10. Authors of the shortlisted papers will be called for the final Jury. They can present their work with a PPT in the allotted time of 15-20 minutes in front of the Panel of Jurors consisting of academicians.
11. The presented material must be strictly from the paper itself. No additional information/ graphics external to the paper will be admissible.
12. There will be Q & A session and discussion by the Jurors.
PRESENTATION OF THE AWARDS
Based on entries received, the Jury at its discretion can choose to confer the Awards or to not give Award at all in each category.
The Awards are to be given to an individual Architect. In case an entry is submitted by a Team / Firm, the Award shall be given to the Principal Architect of the Team / Firm or to a person so nominated by Team / Firm.
All Award winning entries shall be published in the official website of IIA –www.indianinstituteofarchitects.com and JIIA, the Journal of the Indian Institute of Architects
The short-listed participants shall prepare their Presentation in Power Point format, which will be used for online presentations. Further details will be intimated to the short-listed participants.
If the winner of an Award for whatsoever reason cannot be present at the Awards Presentation Programme, a nominee can receive the award on his behalf with prior notification.
IIA NATIONAL AWARDS FOR EXCELLENCE IN ARCHITECTURE 2020
Ar. Vilas Avachat – Vice President, IIA – Convenor
Ar. Leena Kumar- Jt. Hon. Secretary, IIA – Co-Convenor
Ar. Muralidhar Reddy -Chairman, IIA Awards Committee
Ar. Amit Sukhthankar – Chairman, IIA Goa Chapter
Ar. MilindRamani – Co-Convenor, IIA Goa Chapter
Ar. Satish Mane -Jt. Hon. Secretary, IIA
Ar. Gyanendra Shekawat – Hon. Treasurer, IIA